As the nation debates Health care reform one way to cut costs is to eliminate waste. One source is through medical identity theft. This breaks down into five basic types:
- Friends and Family. An insured person gives his insurance card to an un-insured friend or relative to get medical treatment.Stolen information.
- An un-insured person steals a card to get treatment.
- Insurance fraud. An employee at a medical practice processes fictitious claims.
- Drug addicts. Someone steals information to obtain drugs for their addiction.
- Organized crime. A fake medical facility is created and fictitious claims are run through it.
To help prevent theft keep a close eye on your insurance card and check your statements to see if there are ever any claims that are not valid. Every medical practice should take steps to safeguard medical records.