Now Accepting Applications for the 2019/2020 Academic Year
Deadline: Monday, January 28, 2019
As of June 1, 2018, Shred Nations will be accepting scholarship applications for the 2019/2020 school year.
About the $5,000 Scholarship
Shred Nations is a Colorado based company dedicated to promoting economic success of businesses in the shredding and secure destruction industries. As a member of the National Association for Information Destruction (NAID), Shred Nations recognizes the benefits of continuing higher education for those individuals interested in business, environmental responsibility and making future contributions to the community. Shred Nations supports the independent shredding industry and believes in giving back to providers by providing a scholarship to students seeking higher education.
The Shred Nations Scholarship is an annual award of up to $5,000 to offset the costs of higher education. The scholarship award may be divided into two separate payments to be paid directly to the applicant’s chosen institution of higher education, which must be an accredited university, college or trade school.
Attendance at the NAID Conference to Receive Scholarship Award
The 2019/2020 Scholarship recipient will be flown to the NAID Annual Conference in Aurora, CO on April 11 – 13, 2019 and provided a meal stipend and room for one night to be presented their scholarship award.
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
- Applicants must have completed secondary school, or currently be a senior in a secondary school.
- Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 with an interest in business, environmental studies or the shredding and recycling industry.
- Applicants will be required to submit a nomination from a NAID member. NAID members will be comprised of any employee or owner of a NAID member company.
To find a NAID member company that is willing to get to know you and write a letter of recommendation, applicants can use NAID’s interactive map search for a full directory of NAID members and their contact information. Applicants may also contact us at email@example.com for assistance.
One scholarship will be awarded for the academic year, and past recipients may re-apply to be awarded the scholarship for subsequent years. Shred Nations employees, immediate or extended families are not permitted to be awarded the scholarship.
Submitting the Application
Shred Nations will begin accepting applications beginning on June 1 of each year in which the Shred Nations Scholarship is offered. Applications for the 2019/2020 school year must be received by Monday, January 28, 2019.
Complete the application form provided electronically at https://www.shrednations.com/scholarship// (this document may be saved to your computer for completion at your convenience). All application materials must include your full name and be clearly labeled for use in the Shred Nations Annual Scholarship. The completed application and referenced materials may be submitted electronically to Shred Nations’ email at firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed directly to Shred Nations at:
c/o Scholarship Committee
777 South Wadsworth
Building 3, Suite 250
Lakewood, CO 80226
Candidates who plan to make the secure destruction industry a career and whose degree program provides the maximum potential benefit to their respective/perspective employer will be favorably considered.
All applicants will be evaluated based on the following criteria, and such other considerations as the Selection Committee determines are meritorious to the purposes of the scholarship.
- The selection committee will analyze the scholar’s academic achievement and rigor including high school and college/university transcripts, honors and awards.
- The scholar’s character will be evaluated based upon the recommendation of a NAID member owner/executive. In addition, the scholar’s extracurricular activities and merits related to those activities will be examined.
Contribution to Secure Destruction Industry:
- The scholar should demonstrate through a 500 – 1,000-word essay OR a 60-second video detail how you can use your studies to improve business, environmental responsibility and make future contributions to the community including interest in the secure destruction industry and demonstrate what value you can provide to a potential company that is hiring.
The scholarship will be awarded at the NAID Annual Conference for the academic year beginning in the fall of the year of the award. For example, if the scholarship is awarded at the 2019 NAID annual conference, it will apply to the 2019-2020 school year. Summer applies to the school year before and not the school year after. For example, summer semester 2019 is considered part of the 2018-2019 academic year for this scholarship
Download the Application Below
To help ensure that all information is submitted when applying for the Shred Nations Scholarship, we put together a helpful checklist. Download it below.
Scholarship Selection Committee
The scholarship selection committee for the 2018 Scholarship award was comprised of the following members:
- Eric Haas – President, NAID
- Angie Singer Keating – President Elect, NAID
- Bob Johnson – CEO, NAID
- Melinda Powelson – CEO, Shred Nations
- Kelly Kobilan – Director Partner Relations, Shred Nations
- Rand LeMarinel – President, Shred Nations
About Shred Nations
Shred Nations is a wholly owned entity of DataGuard USA LLC. Shred Nations is an internet marketing company with a special interest in the shredding industry. More than 1,000 self-directed consumers a day rely on us for shredding solutions. Our company has been providing fast and accurate information since 1999.
*** We reserve the right to change anything related to this scholarship at anytime at Shred Nations discretion **